Thank You pages are the final step of the sales, sign up, and opt-in conversion processes AND the first step in enhancing your relationship with your email subscribers. Unfortunately Thank You pages are also the most forgotten, underutilized pages by website owners. In fact, when sending us their final website content, most clients provide us their content and forget to include the Thank You pages — even when we remind them to! The Thank You page for most site owners is an afterthought and is almost never included as a valuable part of their website strategy.
Thank You pages may be “after the fact” but they deserve your full attention and should be part of your overall website strategy, as they play a much bigger role than you may realize your the big picture website success.
On many websites, Thank You pages are actually used to create even more conversions, start new conversations, strengthen relationships, make more sales, and create other amazing results! They are a critical part of your email marketing strategy!
So stop thinking about your Thank You pages as an afterthought and start thinking of Thank You pages as an opportunity to create a positive first experience for new customers, clients, or subscribers with your brand — Plus, those visitors who reach your Thank You page are the HOTTEST leads you have, as they already already decided to take action on your site!
The worst thing that a visitor could experience after taking action on your website to hire you, buy from you, or learn from you is being shown a generic, impersonal, cold message like:
- Form Received
- Request Submitted
- You’ve been added to XYZ list
- Message Sent
- Action Complete
- Thank You, we’ll be in touch soon
Or worse, you could show no message at all and not even use a Thank You page, leaving visitors confused and wondering if it even worked!
Know This: Every qualified subscriber/client/customer sees your Thank You page. You’ve already earned their trust enough for them to decide to opt-in, sign up, or buy — now it’s up to you to decide what to do next!
Thank You Pages Set Expectations
A Thank You page is the perfect place to set clear expectations, reinforce that taking action was a good idea, and eliminate buyers remorse. Use the page to immediately thank consumers and remind new clients, customers, and subscribers of:
- Exactly what they bought or signed up for
- Exactly what to expect and what’s coming next
- Why they should be excited and happy they took action
- What they need to do next
- Who they can contact with questions
Thank You Pages Provide Upsells
By taking action on your site, these qualified visitors have shown you that they trust you and they have shown you exactly what they are interested in. As a result the Thank You page can also be a really effective place to:
- Upsell another similar or complimentary item (i.e. you bought a camera, now upsell them accessories, a case, or even lessons)
- Ask for more information (i.e. you gave me your email, now give me your mailing address and I’ll give you another free gift)
- Invite them to connect with you social networks
- Offer additional ways they can connect with you
Thank You Pages Keep People On Your Site Longer
Don’t use a landing page template or an impersonal page provided by your email marketing provider for your Thank You page! With this approach, users have NO WHERE to go, and they have no option but to leave your site … bummer! Instead your Thank You pages should use your standard website template that includes your main navigation menu. This way, visitors have the option to continue to browse your site further, explore more of your content, and potentially take additional actions on your site to engage with you even further.
Go check all of your Thank You Pages! Review all of your Thank You pages and identify where you can:
- Improve the experience on the page
- Make your communication more clear
- Set better expectations
- Add an upsell or another complimentary offer
- Invite readers to connect with your further
- Stengthen relationships
What do you think?
Are you already leveraging your Thank You pages for additional opportunities? Is this a new idea for you that could improve your website conversions and open new possibilities with your marketing? We would love to hear from you in the comments below!
- 10 Ways Email Marketing Can Help Your Business Grow
- Why Permission Trumps Everything In Email Marketing
- Single Opt-In Vs. Double Opt-In, Which Is Best For You
- How to Choose The Right Email Marketing Provider
- Make Opting-In A No Brainer For Ideal Clients And Prospects
- Email Marketing Template Design Tips To Elevate Your Brand
- Setting An Email Newsletter Publishing Schedule You Can Stick With
- Help Subscribers Recognize Your Brand, Remember Why They Subscribed
- Ask For The Unsubscribe: Why You Must Make Opting-Out Easy
- Avoid Email Marketing Death by The Lazy Subscriber’s Unsubscribe
- How To Write Effective Email Subject Lines That Get Readers To Open Your Emails
- Simple But Effective Copywriting Tips For Email Marketing
- How To Retain Email Subscribers And Create Loyal Readers And Raving Fans
- Follow Up Sequences Build Successful, Responsive Email Lists
- Testing: The One Email Marketing Strategy That Can Make or Break Your Success
- 11 Email Marketing WORST Practices
- Bored Of Email Marketing? Get 8 Ways To Spice It Up