Your number one goal online is to be found more often by the consumers who want and need what you have to offer. To be found, the search robots, spiders, or crawlers need to index your website. The search bots are scanning your HTML for content, links, images, headlines, meta tags, and more. They will then combine the information they find to determine your search engine page rankings.
To have your site crawled by search robots, they need a reason to visit your website and index your web pages. The number one way to get your site indexed by the search engines is to update the content frequently and consistently. You need to be kind to the search engines by giving them what they want — fresh content, clean coding, and user friendly design.
Most website owners submit their site to the search engines when it originally launches and then they do nothing for weeks, months, or even years! They just let their site sit there like a boring, lifeless, standard, tri-fold print brochure.
This strategy doesn’t work! That is why a lot of small business websites stink! As an example, say a search bot scans your website and sets itself to come back in one week. One week later it comes back and because nothing has changed, it sets itself to come back in two weeks. Two weeks later it comes back and because nothing has changed, it sets itself to come back in four weeks.
Do you see how a lack of fresh content and website updates can hurt your search engine results?
Now, on the other hand, if in one week the search bot came back and saw new content, it may set itself to come back again in a week. A week later the bot comes back and because it saw more new content, it sets itself to come back in four days. Four days later the search robot comes back and because it sees more new content, it sets itself to come back every day.
These are just examples, but you can easily see how consistently updating website content through news rooms, press releases, blog posts, articles, and more can drastically impact how often you are found by your target market online.
Do you have a different idea on updating content and how it can help your business and your website? Let me know!
- What Is Organic Search Engine Optimization / SEO
- How to Optimize Website Content For Search Engines And People
- How to Optimize Images For SEO
- How to Optimize Links For Improved SEO
- What Is An HTML Page Title And Meta Description?
- Writing an Effective HTML Page Title
- Writing an Effective Meta Description
- Why Keywords Still Matter In SEO
- How to Optimize Blog Posts For Maximum Results And Visibility
- How to Add Google Authorship to Your WordPress Site
- Five Ways Search Engine Optimization Can Help Your Small Business
- Eleven Ways To Optimize A Blog Post
- Search Engine Optimization: The Two Most Important Things Your Website Needs