In October I spoke at the Today’s Innovative Woman SUCCESS! Summit in Los Angeles. From the sponsors and exhibitors, to the attendees and networking, to the food and parties, the event was fantastic. As a speaker, I spent most of the day being on — speaking from the stage, speaking with attendees at breaks, networking, and answering questions and consulting with attendees at my speaker table or in the halls.
To be honest, I heard, but didn’t really get to dig in and listen to all of the other speakers. Luckily, event host Cathy Alessandra surprised everyone at the event by providing the audio recordings of all of the speakers to attendees for free!
So over the Thanksgiving holiday, I cozied up in my slippers with some hot apple cider and listened to the other presentations from the day and wanted to share some of the great reminders from my client, Joy Chudacoff’s presentation, How to Be Famous in Your Niche Market.
She shared that the first step to becoming famous in your niche market is to make the decision to become famous. If you haven’t felt that desire, why is that? If you have no barriers, what’s holding you back? Joy believes the reason you haven’t made the decision is because you’re avoiding fame and hiding from it, or you may already have some fame, but you’re hiding from even more fame.
She went on to explain that there are two reasons so many brilliant business owners are avoiding fame:
Reason 1: “I can’t handle it!”
Other versions of this excuse include: Then I won’t see my kids. But I’ll have to travel. But then I have to wear makeup and get dressed up. But I’ll lose sleep or not make it to the gym. My relationships will suffer. I don’t have time. I can’t afford marketing.
Reason 2: “I suffer from impostor syndrome!”
Other versions of this excuse include: Can I really do it? Am I really good enough? What am I going to do now? What if they find out I’m not really who they think I am? What if they find out I’m not that special? Who the heck am I to do this?
Through her business Smart Women Smart Solutions, Joy Chudacoff coaches women around the world and she knows that there is no question that you don’t know what you’re doing. The question is whether or not you feel like you know what you’re doing.
She teaches that you’ll make more money when you decide to become famous in your niche market. When you become famous for what you do best, everything gets easier.
- Your work will become effortless and seamless
- You’ll create raving fans with your hands tied behind your back
- You’ll step into your own form of leadership
- You’ll be known by more people
- You’re referral sources will thank you for making it easy for them
- People need what you do and they need your help
Joy also offered attendees some solutions to help you become famous in your niche market:
- Know what are you becoming famous for. (what you do)
- Know who are you becoming famous to. (who you serve)
- Know your unique marketing message. (what’s your message)
- Get out there in a big way and get out from behind your computer and connect with people! (Build relationships)
- Publish articles in your area of expertise and share your point of view. (All leaders have a point of view)
- Send out a snail mail or electronic newsletter. (Commit and stick to it)
- Make a personal connection and share your story. (Challenges and victories)
- Use public speaking as a tool (Share your message with groups)
- Create strategic partnerships with other like-minded business owners (support each other)
- Create and live your own unique brand of feminine energy (walk your walk, talk your talk)
It’s Time to Decide!
Joy recommends you take time to decide who you are as a leader, what your energy is, what you value, and what you want to be known for. It’s more challenging to become famous if you’re not sure what you want to be famous for or what you want to be known for. You want there to be no question as to who you are, what you do, who you serve, what big result you get, and how you’re different.
Now is the time. Now is your hour. There is nothing to hold you back.
Joy wants you to be who you are but shine a light on it and let the whole world know who you are. Remember that no matter who you are, you’re here to be known for a whole lot more … you just need to make the decision.