In my last post I showed you how to add the official Twitter Widget to your website without a plugin. This post is a follow up to show you how to automatically publish new blog posts to your Twitter account; also without a plugin. The secret to this one is using one of Google’s free services — FeedBurner.
Here’s how to set it up so your blog posts are automatically published on Twitter using Feedburner:
- If you don’t have a Google account, you must create a free account at google.com.
- Go to FeedBurner and sign in with your Google account.
- If you don’t already have a FeedBurner feed setup you will see this window, where you will need to type in your feed URL (usually http://yourdomain.com/feed) and then click next.
- If you already have a FeedBurner feed setup, click on your feed to access the settings. If you are setting up a new FeedBurner feed, there are tons of options you can configure, but I’ll save those for another post.
- Click on the "Publicize" tab on top then click on "Socialize" in the left hand column.
- Select your options and click "Add Twitter Account". You will need to be signed into Twitter at this point.
- A new window should open up to Twitter where you will be asked to authorize Google to access your Twitter account. Click the "Authorize App" button and the window should close and take you back to FeedBurner.
- At the bottom of the screen you will see a preview of what your Twitter posts integrated with FeedBurner will look like using Google’s goo.gl URL shortener.
If you have a Google Analytics account with the same Google account you use for FeedBurner, your FeedBurner Twitter links will automatically get tagged with Google Analytics campaign parameters so you will see a referral source in Analytics as feedburner/twitter instead of just Twitter.com.