WordCamp Los Angeles — locally organized three-day conference covering everything related to WordPress — is happening September 5-7, 2014, less than a month from today.
I’m so excited for this event — The schedule and sessions look awesome, the attendee list is full of amazing people, and Brian and I will BOTH be speaking! While Brian and I have both presented at WordCamps before, this is the first time we’ll both be presenting at the same one!
So, if you are in or near the Los Angeles area, I highly encourage you to snag a coveted ticket before they sell out — and at only $45 for all three days, a party, a t-shirt, and food, this is an amazing opportunity to network, improve your skill set, learn more about WordPress, and have fun.
1. Design Case Study
Brian’s WordCamp LA talk, Flexibility And Growth Shape Design Decisions For iOS App Marketing Site is part of the Design Workshop, featuring case studies of real-world WordPress projects and the design considerations behind them.
Many of you know Brian to be Bourn Creative’s lead developer, but what you don’t know is that with a eye for and love of design, he also makes all responsive design decisions in-the-browser for all of Bourn Creative’s sites and client projects.
Here’s the description of the session:
Following the WordPress mantra of decisions over options, this case study takes you behind the scenes of a lightweight, lean, flexible site with one primary goal: to get visitors to download the app. Get insights on the core design decisions made throughout development to keep the focus on conversion. Learn the challenges faced in design to not only deliver a stellar site out of the gate, but to accommodate the long-term expansion of in-app purchase options. Plus, hear about how understanding the capabilities of CSS created an environment for a more flexible, scalable design.
2. Publish For Profits
My talk at WordCamp LA, Publish For Profits: Leverage Your Blog And Create Content That Attracts New Prospects And Clients is on Saturday. In this session, I’ll be talking about blogging — and how to make sure your blogging efforts aren’t wasted on creating great content few will see. I’ll also be sharing lessons I have learned through blogging for business, insights from working with businesses on their blogs, and strategies/tolls you can use to drastically increase the traffic to your site through blogging.
Here’s the description of the session:
Blogging is critical to the success of any online business, yet it’s often ignored, underutilized, or flailing. Learn the biggest mistakes new bloggers make, why they are sabotaging their own success, and how to avoid doing the same. From headlines, to optimization, to formatting, to promotion, we’ll cover how to get every one of your blog posts maximum visibility and get them in front of people who need what you offer, are ready to buy, but just don’t yet know you exist.
3. Growing Your Business
As part of the WordCamp LA Business Workshop, I am joining Lisa Tsou and Kevin Michael Gray for the Growing Your Business panel discussion/interview with our friend Chris Lema.
Here’s a little more about the panel:
- As Creative Director and lead Digital Strategist for Bourn Creative, I will be sharing ideas on Focusing on the Bottom Line.
- Kevin Michael Gray will be talking about Validating Your Idea. He is the founder of ApproveMe.me and WP E-Signature which transforms any WordPress website into a secure, legally binding and customizable document signing application (but without the monthly fees).
- Lisa Tsou will be sharing tips on Pitching to Investors. She spends her time coaching founders and entrepreneurs on how to present themselves to investors and raise the money they need to take their businesses to the next level.
- Chris Lema will be moderating the panel. He is CTO at Crowd Favorite, a blogger, ebook author, and organizer of the North San Diego WordPress meetup.
A Little More About WordCamp LA
If you’ve never heard of a WordCamp, or you have never been to one, you’re missing out!
WordCamps are non-profit conferences for the WordPress community run by volunteers who love WordPress. Be sure to check out the WordCamp LA organizers and the sponsors, and please reach out and say thank you!
WordCamps are meant to provide training, education, and learning for everyone who uses WordPress at all different levels, from users and bloggers, to designer and business owners, to expert developers — and to provide an avenue for the WordPress community to come together, connect, meet each other, and build relationships. They are not for selling, self promotion, or any other type of pushy marketing, so you can rest assured, there will be no selling from stage and no icky marketing.
WordCamp LA is just one of the many WordCamps that happen each year around the world.
Here are some more details about the event:
- WordCamp LA 2014 is three days of WordPress, including food, an after-party, a t-shirt, and killer content — all for only $45. Check out the schedule and get your
- Friday is broken up into three different focused, intensive, all-day workshops: Beginner, Business, Design
- Saturday is a full day of sessions, with three different talks to choose from at every time slot
- Sunday is contribution day, where attendees can show up and give back to WordPress
- Need help? There will be an all-day WordPress Happiness Bar where you can stop by for one-on-one help with your specific WordPress questions
Hope to see you there!