There are so many people out there in the “Wannabe” Internet Entrepreneur world that think that just because you have a blog, you’re immediately going to be a total rock star with thousands of people flocking to your blog to leave you tons of comments and subscribing left and right. But here’s the problem… That’s not true. You have to work to get your blog noticed and to get in front of your target market. And you have to consistently publish great work to get visitors to come back again and again!
Here are eight ways you can build a better business blog and make blogging for business payoff sooner, rather than later:
- Use WordPress for Your Business Blog — WordPress blogs, especially self-hosted, custom designed WordPress blogs give you an unprecedented level of control over your site. Also, because WordPress is open source software, new plugins are being developed constantly to add even more functionality that can help make your life easier and your marketing more effective.
- Brand Your Blog — Your business blog should always match your business website. Now, it doesn’t have to be the same, it just has to appear to belong to the same business and the same family of marketing messages. Give your blog a name and a unique design if you want, but use the same typefaces, color palette, and brand imagery to tie your blog to your business website. This will also help you build brand equity.
- Put Your Audience First — When brainstorming blog posts titles and writing blog posts, make sure the content is something that your audience will want to read and make sure it is valuable and useful to them and their business. You may even want to run a list of titles by a focus group of people in your niche to get their feedback.
- Don’t Waste Your Audience’s Time — Be careful to not use your blog as a place to shamelessly promote your products, programs, and services. and don’t use it to create “marketing hype” around your promotions. Also make sure you stay on topic! If you are a financial advisor and your blogging on your parenting woes, you’re going to confuse your visitors because that is probably not the information they were expecting to receive.
- Write Smart Headlines — Once of the fastest ways to get your blog post ranked by the search engines, and maybe even move it right to the first page of the search results is to use the exact keyword(s) you are targeting in your blog headline and page title.
- Use Photos and Graphics to Attract Attention — A photo, image, graphic, or chart is an immediate attention grabber and will attract your site visitors to check out your blog posts. Some studies have even shown that including images in your blog posts equals more people reading the post and more time spent of the page.
- Break Up Your Writing With Audio and Video — Not everyone prefers to get their content by reading an article. In fact, there are three ways people like to learn, by listening (auditory), by seeing (visual), and by touching (kinesthetic). Break up your written blog posts with audio and video every once in a while to appeal to all different styles of learning.
- Engage Your Readers and Join The Conversation — Encourage comments on your blog and when someone comments on your blog, tweets about it, or mentions it in their blog, thank them. Post a reply comment and interact with your audience. It shows you appreciate them and that their voice matters.
- Support Other Experts — One of the best ways to get out there and build your business blog’s visibility and reputation to is to interact with other experts. Comment on their blogs. Reply to their social media posts and retweet great content. By helping others, you’re inevitably helping yourself and your helping your audience by making them aware of more great content.