The StudioPress.FM podcast is designed to help creative entrepreneurs build the foundation of a powerful digital business. Each week, StudioPress founder Brian Gardner and VP of StudioPress Lauren Mancke share their expertise on web design, strategy, and building an online platform, and this past week, Bourn Creative partners, Brian Bourn and Jennifer Bourn, were the featured guests.
In the most recent StudioPress FM episode, Brian and I talk shop with podcast host Brian Gardner. From how we started our own business and how we found the Genesis Framework, to the steps we take to create fulfillment in both our personal lives and professional lives and what we wish each other did better, this podcast offers up some classic infotainment.
Host Brian Gardner asked us about:
- The founding of Bourn Creative: How did we get involved with WordPress and why did we start building WordPress websites with the Genesis Framework?
- Using Genesis within a Creative Agency: What are some of the early challenges we faced when making the decision to start Bourn Creative?
- Choosing a business size that fits your lifestyle: Why the decision to keep it smaller scale than growing into a huge agency?
- Tips for maintaining a consistent workflow from home: What’s a typical day look like for Brian as lead developer and business manager? What’s a typical day look like for Jennifer as lead designer, strategist, and marketing manager?
- Creating a work/life balance that revolves around family: How do we manage to do it all — take lots of vacations and deliver outstanding client projects?
- The importance of scheduling and client communication: How do we manage client communication and client projects with so much travel to conferences and for vacations?
- Building a profit margin into your client services: How do we stay profitable with work travel expenses? How do we get the work done when we’re traveling so much? What is the Achilles heel of Bourn Creative?
- Creating partnerships to create recurring revenue streams: How do we work with clients on an ongoing basis?
- Evaluating expenses on a consistent basis: How do we afford so many family adventures and business travel?