The Sacramento WordPress Meetup kicked off 2016 with a fabulous new venue — The Urban Hive — and an event with 40+ guests attending, even on a super wet and rainy weekday night. Big thanks go out to everyone who made to out to the event!
February Sacramento WordPress Meetup
The next Sacramento WordPress meetup is happening at 6:30pm on Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at The Urban Hive. All 2016 events will be at this new venue, which also provides a hot coffee and tea bar for your enjoyment.
The topic, presented by Jennifer Bourn is Visual Storytelling Through WordPress Theme Design
Most discussions and talks on WordPress theming are focused on development, but to write the code for and develop a WordPress theme, you first need design. And, while the design of a WordPress theme plays a supporting role to the content, it is critical in setting the tone for the feeling of a website, focusing visitors’ attention, guiding them through the site to a conversion, and providing flexibility for future site enhancements and expansion.
In this talk we’ll cover:
- Planning the design and flow of a WordPress theme
- The process of theme design and critical considerations that need to be accounted for
- Designing with custom page templates and custom post types
- Responsive design and mobile design considerations
March Sacramento WordPress Meetup
In March, we’ll be learning about The Benefits of Building WordPress Sites on Pantheon, a web development and hosting platform for WordPress (and Drupal).
As with the demo and training from Desktop Server in 2015, we’ll be learning all about using Pantheon for your WordPress projects from David Newton, a Senior Customer Success Engineer at Pantheon. He handles support requests from users and helps them achieve Success on the platform.
In this talk you’ll learn how to:
- Manage your websites, see developer activity, from a single dashboard.
- Update WordPress core with a single click to stay on top of website performance and security.
- Integrate code and release often—develop on the platform or use Git for version control. Each site comes with identical dev, test, and live environments.
- Free yourself from server maintenance. Pantheon automates sysadmin work so you can focus on WordPress development.
- Automatic daily and weekly backups of your websites, stored in redundant offsite locations.
April Sacramento WordPress Meetup
In April we’re once again hosting one of our most popular meetups of the year — The WordPress Happiness Night (Hands-On Help & Coworking) — where we skip the speaker and invite all of our members to show up and GET and GIVE help.
This is your opportunity to give back or pay it forward in your local WordPress community! So bring yourself, your laptop, and your knowledge with you and come hang out — trust me, you know more than you think and everyone has something to share.
No matter what your level of experience is with WordPress, you’ll find this a very helpful evening!
- New WordPress users come to ask questions and learn how to use WordPress better
- Bloggers come to get help troubleshooting a problem
- Website owners come to get help implementing something new on their website
- Consultants and service providers come for theme and plugin solutions
- Designers and developers come for co-working, friendly critiques, advanced development collaboration, and peer troubleshooting or code review
- And, everyone seems to need help with even HTML and CSS too!
May Sacramento WordPress Meetup
May is lightning talk month, where instead of one speaker presenting for 40-60 minutes, we have four speakers each presenting for 10 minutes. This way you get to learn about four different WordPress topics from four different members of our community!
CALL FOR SPEAKERS: The call for lightning talk speakers is open! We’re looking for WordPress community members who are willing to talk with the group about one, focused topic for 7-10 minutes. These are casual talks and whether you’re a brand new, first time speaker, or a seasoned pro, we’d love to have you! In fact, this is a great opportunity to get your feet wet speaking and practice if you think you may be interested in applying to speak at WordCamp Sacramento 2016.
Thinking about doing a lightning talk, but not sure what to talk about? Here are a few ideas:
- Have a favorite plugin you use all the time? Tell us about it and demo the plugin
- Built a cool feature into a recent WordPress project? Share it with us, show us the thought behind it and tell us how you built it
- Found a new design, development, or blogging tool related to WordPress that our members may find valuable and helpful? Share it with us!
- Have any tips or tricks to help members save time or resources, or help them get better results with their WordPress websites? We’d love to hear about it.
- Have opinions on, or want to talk best practices about design, development, blogging, or content? Want to talk process or strategy? Let’s hear it!
Just remember, the talk needs to tie into designing with, developing for, or using WordPress.
If you’re interested, contact us with the following:
- Talk title & description (or your idea if you want help crafting the title and description)
- Contact Information