After my post on how to add the official Twitter Widget to your WordPress site without a plugin, several readers emailed me and asked me to explain how to add the Facebook Like Box to their WordPress site.
Now, Facebook doesn’t give you too many customizing options … They want to make sure that no matter what it is always obvious it is a Facebook widget and that their brand is promoted. With that said, there are a few options for adding a Like Box to a website, and the method below is probably the easiest and the one we choose to use for our clients.
Here’s step-by-step instructions (with screen shots) on how to add the Facebook Like Box to your WordPress website or blog:
- Head over to the developers like box page on Facebook.
- Type in your Facebook Page URL (has to be a business page and not a personal profile)
- Select your options.
- Click the “Get Code” button.
- Select iFrame, copy and paste the code it outputs into a text file.
- Log in to your WordPress site and add a new text widget (or use an existing one) to your sidebar, paste in the code and save it.
Take a look at your site and adjust the width and height properties of the pasted code until it looks right. Now your website visitors can click the like box on your site and become fans without having to directly go to your Facebook page.