The WordPress community as a whole had a big year. In his tenth annual State of the Word, WordPress co-founder Matt Mullenweg shared some pretty impressive statistics regarding WordCamps and WordPress meetup groups. In 2015:
- There were 89 WordCamps, with 21,000 attendees in 34 countries.
- WordCamps were put together by 601 organizers — 60% being first-time organizers
- 1,600 speakers presented at 2,100 sessions at WordCamps around the world.
- 40,000 people attended 2,000 Meetups across the country.
Our local Sacramento WordPress community has a lot to be proud of as well — and I’m not just saying that because Brian and I are two of the organizers along with Jake Goldman and Joe Boydston. In 2015, the Sacramento WordPress Meetup Group:
- Held 11 monthly Sacramento WordPress meetups
- Had an average of 30-40+ attendees at every meeting
- Hosted the first ever WordCamp Sacramento with 8 organizers, 19 speakers, 21 sponsors, and 180 attendees
- Livestreamed the entire WordCamp Sacramento Advanced track for WordPress users around the world to watch
- About 75% of all WordCamp and Meetup speakers were from our local Sacramento region
- WordCamp Sacramento sold out in just over two hours